Sunday, June 9, 2019

June 8. What comes next?

I’ve had a great rest with Molly’s family, particularly Sawyer who is so happy about everything.  It’s been useful to take the time to decide what’s been happening to me over the last week and what I want from this bicycle ride.
Some of the things I’ve learned about myself are:
I like being on my own and having independence but I don’t do well when I have too much alone time and become isolated. I’ve had tons of contact with my friends and family, actually probably more than I do on a regular basis, but there is isolation in doing something that it’s hard for others to imagine at the moment.  You know, like I’m freezing and it’s 90 in Knoxville. Or it’s raining so much that there’s no open B&Bs because they are trying to avoid being flooded by the lake.
I love to travel  and to tour on a bicycle but probably want more control over where I’m going than just following a trail because it has been created. The adventure cycling maps are fantastic.  They take you off the beaten path and avoid major traffic areas.  They’re as scenic as possible but because of this there are very few grocery stores, restaurants, etc.  I notice that most cross country riders enjoy the idea of eating convenience store foods, lots of sugary treats, burgers, fries, all that fast food stuff but I end up not feeling well with that food and consequently avoid eating as much as I should because I can’t stomach another energy bar, freeze dried meal or diner food.
As an older person, I’m not as flexible about where I sleep.  I actually enjoy camping but I’m probably more sensitive to sketchiness than I was as a younger person or when I’m with some of my male cycling friends. I’ve been to some lovely campgrounds and inns on this trip but I’ve had to work hard to avoid some less than lovely places.
I have trouble making sure I have rest if I’m concerned I need to ride while the weather is better when I know it’s forecast to rain for the next four days. Planning rest is going to be essential in the future and trying to stick to that plan.
All of this is explaining why I’ve decided to stop my cross country trip, go home and reconsider my plans.  During the past week, I’ve dreaded getting started  in the mornings. I’ve been happy riding but dreaded the drudgery and monotony of stopping and starting each day.  It’s been impacting my mood and consequently impacting how I feel about the people and places I’m seeing.
So I’m thinking I will take at least two more bicycle trips this year, probably for up to two weeks, that seems to be my bewitching point.  Maybe this will be with friends, maybe not.  I haven’t felt any fear about being alone, but find being alone for too long is too isolating for me. And I do plan on shorter tours until I’m too old to bike them. I don’t want to lose the joy of touring.
I so appreciate the support I have received for doing this trip. I’m proud of the 900 miles I did and the challenges I managed.  I hope no one feels disappointed or mislead in anyway.



10 comments:

Karen said...

I am incredibly proud to have you as my friend. I admire your courage - both the obvious courage it takes to embark on an adventure like this, as well as the courage to re-examine the path one is on and change courses. Enjoy your time with Sawyer (and Molly and Tyler of course) and I will look forward to doing a van camping excursion with you sooner than previously anticipated!

Syd said...

No one should be disappointed in you! You tried harder than most, but so many things that you have no control over have put a big damper on the trip.
I think the van camper/bike trips will be happier times!
Enjoy that happy Sawyer! 😍🙀

Amy said...

Congratulations on the many, many miles you completed despite the rain and cold! I'm also proud of you to having the insight to be able to assess and adopt a different course. I'm sure that you have many cycling adventures ahead. Maybe I'll even convince you to go on one of my "luxury" cycling trips with me...the food is always wonderful and the bed is really comfy! And somebody else takes care of the logistics.

Bill Smartt said...

First of all, I'm incredibly impressed at the 900 miles you've done! Holy moly! Also that you paid attention to your needs, showed flexibility and simply changed plans as a result. Now you are clear about the types of things you like about touring, and can make adjustments going forward. Very proud of you for taking this whole thing on in the first place! Someone should carry you around on a pillow for your courage, drive, and the fact that you just rode 900 miles!!

Bob Whetsel said...

Amanda, I know this is a very hard decision for you. I totally respect it. You are a great bike rider and tour companion. I look forward to our next ride. Welcome Home. Bob.

Anonymous said...

you did amazing! and we miss you at PP, welcome home, enjoy that sweet cute grand kid of yours!!
Hector

Mike Hawthorne said...

Mandy,

Your friends at the Northshore Group are incredibly proud of you! It takes courage and resolve to think of this trip, to embark on it, to ride so many damn miles in miserable conditions and then to decide that you would enjoy doing other things more. This was the whole point, right? You got out of your routine so you could do whatever you want - and you are doing that. So have fun, have a beer, hug your family and come by for a drug rep lunch here with your TNG friends when you get back to Knoxville. Don't waste a moment second guessing your decisions. We love you!!

Mike

Anne Whitney said...

I can't imagine anyone being disappointed or criticizing you about this, Mandy. And frankly, no one should be allowed to unless they've cycled 900 miles - just sayin' ! ;-) Hope to see you soon. Anne

Jennifer Brock Martin said...

I am so impressed by everything you have done on this trip - starting this adventure, doing it alone and especially, riding 900 miles. What an accomplishment! Hope to see you soon!

Anita Ross said...

Wow!!! I am thoroughly impressed Amanda!!! I new you could do Amazing things, but 900 miles, just WOW!!! I am so Very Proud to know someone who can accomplish something such as this!!! I bet the long stretches of alone time were rough,I can only imagine. It's good to see you got time with your family. I miss you Greatly!!! I wasn't sure how to do this blog thing at first but I like it now that I'm able to read about your conquests!! It's really neat!!! You take care and I'll write back soon!!! Lots of Love and appreciation to you!!!