Wednesday, June 5, 2019

June 5 Fort Erie to Buffalo NY

So as I left Fort Erie the sun was shining and I had even used sunscreen, something I haven’t needed except on my face for most of this trip.  I had problems accessing the entry to the Peace Bridge, google and Adventure Cycling maps brought me to a locked gate.  So I had to climb on the ramp with the trucks, RVs and cars.  It was exciting.  Once on the bridge I realized that they had lots of construction going on and so the bike lane and pedestrian walkway were closed.  Someone suggested that I walk my bike but I ride faster than I walk so I decided that the best way across was the quickest way.  Someone else had suggested that I take a picture while I was up there.  Who are these people who would stop on that bridge and take a picture.  Someone with more courage than me for sure.  I didn’t even look out to see what you could see.  My plan was to live through that crossing. But for the most part, people were kind and gave me space.  I had one encounter with an eighteen wheeler that made me very anxious. I decided he had a vendetta against cyclist because he seemed to be nudging me over as far as he could.  While I was waiting in line to go through border entry, another motorist said that he couldn’t stop watching even though he thought he was about to watch me be crushed by that truck.  It was a real freak out.  I’ve never had someone come so close so deliberately before.
I did have a fun interaction with the border guard.  He kept asking me about having something with me to protect myself.  He asked about a gun, a knife and finally about pepper spray.  I answered “well I did have pepper spray for dogs, but I’ve lost it somewhere along the way.”  He helped me search but I couldn’t find it.  I told him that it had either been stolen or I had bounced it out on a freeze seam that was hugely expanded.  He realized this was a good possibility in the north.  He continued to be concerned that I had no protection.  I told him that I have never had problems with people, except maybe that truck driver, but that I had been bitten by dogs in Tennessee.  I also told him that the only person who had been hit with that pepper spray was me.  I accidentally squirted myself along my lip with it one day.  I think I was his entertainment for the day.
I went into Buffalo and had a bit of problem navigating but eventually got on course.  But then it started raining again and I had a meltdown.  Now don’t worry, most people wouldn’t recognize that I had a meltdown so no scenes were created.  But I did realize that if you are hungry, angry, lonely, tired it’s time to halt, for a while anyway. So I rented a car and drove to Cleveland where I’m visiting with Sawyer and Molly and Tyler, taking a rest and deciding if I’m built more for multiple short trips instead of one big one.  I realized that I’m struggling with the weather first and foremost and it’s really getting me down. But also the repetitive problems with packing and unpacking finding food and a place to stay.
Anyway, I’m in for a few days to reassess and I’ll let you know what happens next.

1 comment:

Syd said...

Glad to hear you’re safe and sound. Enjoy time with Sawyer, molly and Tyler.
I think shorter road trips with better weather might look better.
That weather has really been hard on you.
Take care and hug Sawyer for me.