Much better weather, roads and traffic today making for a great ride. I traveled around 20 miles on US1 to go across the Penobscot Bridge and through Searsport and Belfast. Both of those towns were quaint little harbor towns.The bridge was an adventure because of the wind. I didn’t get off the bike to take the picture below because I feared my bike couldn’t withstand the wind without falling over. After Belfast I rode on SR 52 and it was pleasant with beautiful scenery and lovely villages. The riding wasn’t as easy as I expected along the coast. Of course I am riding with an extra few pounds.
 |
| Camden Maine |
 |
| Lake between Camden and Rockport |
 |
Bridge
|
 |
| Safe Harbor church. I liked the name. |
I met three different cyclist today along the way. I’m learning that they are the best for helping with directions because of their awareness about what it takes to move the bike forward. Two of the cyclists were mostly interested in looking at my maps and understanding the route. One guy,Giovani, has a trip planned to Italy and is considering a new bike, anther had done two cross country rides and was curious about my maps. But my favorite was the guy in Belfast who rode with me for a while even though he was on a carbon fiber bike and was having trouble going as slowly as I was going on the hills. He was grumbling about the terrible road conditions in Maine and when I mentioned how lovely Belfast is, he said “It’s okay now but it used to smell like chicken poop when the chicken plant was here.” Ambassador for Belfast and lives on Grumble Corner. Cyclists are usually a bit more optimistic.
The photos below are the view from the bridge and several villages along the way.
1 comment:
I guess even cyclists can get cranky!
Post a Comment