Monday, September 2, 2019

Graham Island State Park, North Dakota August16-17


So I’m learning that when the weekend is coming up it’s a good idea to find somewhere to be and lay low.  That worked out for me because I had two days of driving so I needed some rest.  North Dakota turned out to be more enjoyable to drive across than I expected.  There were thousands of acres of sunflowers in the eastern part of the state and the colors of the grain and grasses are beautiful.  I think that the driving takes so little effort though that it’s easy to get bored.  The Graham Island State Park was located Mid state along Devils Lake. Nice campground for $25 and a good area to do some biking.  I toddled around when I first arrived and then rode out and around the lake for about 50 miles the next morning.  It rained that afternoon so I just hung out in the van.  I met a very nice couple across from my campsite who were from International Falls.  They were there for a week and had been frustrated by a fishing tournament that was making the waters less friendly.  We chatted about various things and it turned out that the husband was a forester who had lived in Montana and Idaho for most of his life.  He said he had to leave because it was so difficult to make a living there.  I wondered how it could be better in International Falls but decided against asking.  He did say he now works for private industry.
He really helped solidify my decision to go  to Waterton Park in Canada and then talked to me about several places in Glacier and also Idaho he thought I should make a point to visit.  Very cool information.  As I was leaving Sunday Morning he and his wife brought me some homemade raspberry jam from their garden and a jar of homemade pickles also for their garden.  They had thought they would use it  on the trip and said they had more at home with stuff in the garden waiting to be prepared. Both were delicious.  Just really sweet people who made absolutely no comment about me being alone.  Most people want to give me advice on how to protect myself....




No comments: